They have the following: 40 under 40 | Call for applications 2022
At Bloomberg Law, we pride ourselves on our continued efforts to showcase the next generation of leaders in the legal profession.
We are delighted to announce our 2022 call for nominations for “They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40,” Bloomberg Law’s special report recognizing the accomplishments of remarkable young lawyers nationwide. (You can check out our inaugural July 2021 edition here.)
Age requirement: Bloomberg Law’s “They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40” will recognize 40 outstanding lawyers across the United States, aged 40 and under as of August 2, 2022.
Practice and Geography Requirements: To be eligible for this award, attorneys must practice full-time law with a United States-based law firm, business, government agency, or non-profit organization. (Lawyers working overseas for U.S.-based law firms, corporations, government agencies, or nonprofits may also apply.)
Successful applicants: Successful candidates will be young lawyers with a track record of success in large, high impact client cases. These lawyers will also have to:
- Earn the respect of more experienced team members by successfully establishing early ownership of key roles in client business. For example, successful candidates may have led key aspects of major transactions. They may have written winning briefs in high-stakes appeals or have addressed key elements of important lawsuits.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills in their law firms, businesses and communities, through strong leadership roles and pro bono service.
- Show tangible support and participation in diversity and inclusion efforts in their law firms, businesses or non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrate new ways of thinking about their legal practices through innovation and / or thought leadership.
Nomination limits: An employer can propose a lawyer. Lawyers can also appoint themselves or appoint a colleague lawyer. To note: We will consider a maximum of two lawyers per law firm, business or non-profit organization for the award.
To submit, please include the following. Please note that the the number of words will be strictly respected.
- A short biography. The biography should include the candidate’s name, date of birth (month, day and year), current employer, current job title (i.e. associate, partner or lawyer) and major accomplishments ( 500 words or less).
- An essay demonstrating the candidate’s qualifications for the award. Please address the points described in the “Successful Applicants” section (1000 words or less).
- Two brief letters of recommendation. Letters can come from clients, lawyer mentors, practice group leaders or other senior lawyers (500 words or less each).
- A digital, high-resolution, professional headshot.
The answers to the following four questions:
- What is the most important lesson you learned as a first year lawyer and how does it influence your practice today? (200 words or less)
- How do you define success in your practice? (150 words or less)
- What are you most proud of as a lawyer? (200 words or less)
- Who is your greatest legal mentor and what have you learned from them? (150 words or less)
Please email your applications in a Word document to: [email protected] before 8 p.m. EST on Monday, March 7, 2022.
To note: Please check your submissions to ensure they meet the criteria before submitting. Incomplete and / or late submissions will not be taken into consideration.
Questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions here. For further questions, please send an email [email protected].